Google

Monday, October 23, 2006

October 22nd: The first thing they noticed was that the Gods had left Ray's. Silence blurted out everywhere, all-encompassing in its emptiness. No buzzers, no clangs, no barking orders. Just brutal, deafening, maddening silence. Nothing lasts forever, the more philosopical among them mused. Statistically speaking, it had to happen sometime, somewhere. Were they the lucky ones?

The shock kept them quiet to begin with. Then the implications. Only the conclusions could dismantle the wall of quiet, but those would come later. Conclusions tend to happen that way.

Shock comes in three stages. First there is compensation. Your body (or mind) works overtime to keep functioning normally. Perhaps the Gods are having a meeting? Maybe they're playing a trick on us. Or, the old reliable: am I still asleep? Next, you move into decompensation - your body (mind) has overextended itself to the point it can't continuing functioning in a normal manner. Abducted by aliens, has to be! Wasn't there a coup on TV last night? Revelations 16:14 (better known as Armageddon). Finally we get to the Irreversible Stage, where enough parts cease to function in order to (hopefully) maintain the integrity of the whole. Irreversible and inevitable, but that, also, must wait for later.

Compensation was just beginning as the silence imploded into quiet. Murmurs, mumblings and shuffles poking holes in the great void of sound until it was unrecognisable. Nothing lasts forever.

1 Comments:

Blogger St James Systems said...

It's only now that I find you. When were you going to tell me you were writing for other people?

You said that I was special, you said you'd only write poetry for me & Mr Fuzzyhole (my 'ethereal' belly-button, if you still remember).

That night you took me in your arms you promised that I was the only one, that my beauty alone lit up our dimly inhabited sphere & that you would write to re-echo earth-bound such earth-born loveliness.

Where did the spark go?

Why hast thou forsaken me?

I suppose you still want sex. Same time, same place: bring a German helmet.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home